From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-24 04:00:59

Johan Nilsson wrote:

> Rene Rivera wrote:
>> The topic of what gets built "out of the box" came up again, this time
>> on IRC. Some background... In the past we have gone the route of
>> building as much as possible when users do the manual Boost
>> build+install. That approach has gotten us a rather distressing
>> reputation of building being a real pain, mostly because it takes a
>> long time to build. But also because it generates a dizzying array of
>> library files and hence people have a hard time understanding what to
>> link to.
>>
>> The old real way to "solve" this is to reduce the number of variants
>> we build by default. So the current favorite is to only build:
>>
>> * multi-threaded, shared runtime, release
>
> I'm not part of the release team, so sorry for intruding ...
>
> Boost.C++ is a foundation for developers to build their own application
> and/or libraries, right - so: Are there any developers that do _not_ use
> the debug builds of the libraries?

Do you regularly debug C++ Boost? Most bug reports I see do not even
include a backtrace, not to mention pinpointing specific wrong line
in code.

Note also that nowdays, many folks build Boost because it's dependency
of some other application -- in which case it's even less likely
the person would like to debug C++ Boost.

- Volodya