From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-29 05:26:08

Robert Ramey wrote:
> A related question. I've got a fairly extensive set of changes that
> I would hope to be uploading to the trunk in the next 2 weeks or so. I
> will have tested the package on my own setup, but the changes are
> such that I would expect some surprizes on configurations I don't
> have access to. Can this be done anytime I find convenient? Or
> should I wait for some particular set of conditions to present
> themselves.

The release manager (Beman) is away until Tuesday, but as I understand the
state of things, he hopes to start moving libraries from Trunk to the
release branch later this week. That means that (possibly) breaking changes
at this stage in the release cycle are likely to be very unwelcome indeed
:-(

However, patches for the serialisation library's current regressions
(http://beta.boost.org/development/tests/trunk/developer/issues_release_.html#serialization)
would be most welcome. Note also that some libraries that are unchanged in
this release have serialization related failures: for example date-time
http://tinyurl.com/3a6tl4.

If your changes are the only way to address these issues, then they *might*
be acceptable I guess, but otherwise I would suggest that you:

* Copy your working copy (with the changes) to a branch if it's not on a
branch already.
* Concentrate on fixing regressions in Trunk.
* Merge the branch to trunk after the release.

But like I said, I'm not the release manager, so please consider this an
unofficial view and contact Beman when he's back :-)

HTH, John Maddock.