From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-29 15:59:47

Peter Dimov wrote:
>>> Eric Niebler:

>>> The various registrations are indeed the responsibility of the library
>>> authors but they will probably not happen unless it is possible to make
>>> said
>>> registrations without including a foreign header and in a risk-free
>>> manner.
>> Peter, I'm not exactly sure what you're arguing for here. Can you be
>> more specific?
>
> Hm.
>
> I think I'm arguing for a documented registration interface that looks like
> this:
>
> namespace boost
> {
>
> namespace type_of
> {
>
> template< class V, class T > struct encode_type;
>
> template<> struct encode_type< whatever-is-required >
> {
> whatever-is-required;
> };
>
> } // namespace type_of
>
> } // namespace boost
>
> I've no idea how practical is that.

I'm confused. There already is a documented registration interface
(involving macros). The question is where to put the registrations.
Consider that if I consume library X and need X::Y to be registered, I
could put the registration in my code, but if everybody did that it
would be chaos.

Have I misunderstood your suggestion?

--
Eric Niebler