From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-31 14:09:33

Andreas Huber wrote:
> Hi
>
> Given the instructions at
>
> <http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/ImprovingPractices#Mergingchangesfromdevelopmenttrunktoreleasebranch>
>
> I'm supposed to wait for an announcement to merge my trunk changes to the
> release branch.
>
> 1. How will this announcement be made? Would it be possible to get an email?

I'm going to do a trial merge sometime this week. If that works OK, it
won't be necessary for each developer to do their own merging.

> 2. Is there an estimate when the announcement will be made?
> 3. How am I supposed to merge status/explicit-failures-markup.xml? Will I
> not somehow screw up the merge history of that file when I just merge the
> changes relevant for my library and ignore all the other pending changes?

I'm not sure of the details, but for now just concentrate on the trunk.

Remember too that the "merge" from trunk to release is really an
overwriting copy. SVN is actually doing a diff and a patch, with the
trunk as the diff's "from" and the release branch as the diff's "to".
Thus there is no possibility of a merge conflict.

--Beman