From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-31 14:31:29

Thorsten Ottosen wrote:
>> I guess you're right, but is it not true that the code will often not
>> compile since the function names have changed.?
>>
>> Anyway, if people agree, I don't mind keeping the three headers above.
>>

> Do peole agree with Eric?

What I'm doing with Boost.System and Boost.Filesystem is provide
existing names as deprecated synonyms, wrapped in an #ifdef. For example:

# ifndef BOOST_SYSTEM_NO_DEPRECATED
     // deprecated synonyms
     static const error_category & errno_ecat = get_posix_category();
     static const error_category & native_ecat = get_system_category();
# endif

That allows current code to keep working, but puts users on notice these
synonyms will go away.

I'm not familiar enough with the range case to know for sure, but if it
doesn't hurt anything, why not protect the existing code and allow a
transition period?

--Beman