From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-01 21:29:20

David Abrahams wrote:
> I hope everyone is using http://www.orcaware.com/svn/wiki/Svnmerge.py
> when merging changes between branches and trunk. That's very
> important if we're going to avoid merge hell.

The plan isn't to do what the TortoiseSVN docs call a "Range of
Revisions" merge, but rather what those docs call "Merging Two Different
Trees". Since in effect that just copies the file from the trunk to the
release branch, there isn't any chance of merge hell, if I understand
what you mean. This approach also minimizes the chance that the code
will break, since the code is unchanged from the code being tested on
the trunk.

Is there any reason to use svnmerge.py for a tree/tree merge?

--Beman

PS: Subversion 1.5 will fold in the svnmerge.py merge tracking
functionality. It should ship fairly soon. TortoiseSVN will release a
new version at the same time that also supports merge tracking. See
http://blogs.open.collab.net/svn/ for more information.