From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-13 10:03:18

Under CVS, we tagged files in the trunk "merged_to_RC_1_34_0" at the
time of branching for release, and then updated the location of that tag
  if a later version of the file got merged into the release branch.
This allows library maintainers to know what has been merged and what
hasn't.

What should the procedure be for Subversion?

Does Subversion have an equivalent to updating the location of a tag for
a subset of files? Or is tagging completely the wrong approach for
Subversion?

Should we be using svnmerge.py instead and letting its merge tracking
handle the need to keep track of what has been merged and what hasn't?

I suspect we need to get this right the first time, so I'd particularly
like to hear from people who have dealt with this in practice, and can
report what worked well for them.

Thanks,

--Beman