From: Preston A. Elder (prez_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-14 15:53:38

Is there any plan to implement something like this:

http://www.neuromancy.net/fisheye/browse/mantra/trunk/Mantra-I/mantra/
utils/shared_mutex_views.h?r=435

So that a shared mutex can be operated like a normal mutex, including
scoped_lock behavior, and you can choose whether that scoped_lock
behavior should be to acquire an exclusive, a shared, or an upgrade lock?

The idea being:

// somewhere else
shared_mutex smtx;

// Where I need it:

shared_mutex_view smv(smtx);
shared_mutex_view::scoped_lock sl(smv);
// ...

// OR:
exclusive_mutex_view smv(smtx);
exclusive_mutex_view::scoped_lock sl(smv);

Right now, shared_mutex only has primitives, and cannot be used with
things like scoped_lock (aka. unique_lock). Additionally, it cannot be
used as a condition, despite the condition framework. These views would
facilitate that, however I'll admit, I've not thought of all the
implications of such things.

PreZ :)