From: Andrey Semashev (andysem_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-16 12:06:40

Ronald Garcia wrote:
> Review Wizard Status Report for November 2007
>
> If you're library author and plan on submitting a library for review
> in the next 3-6 months, send Ron or John a short description of your
> library and we'll add it to the Libraries Under Construction below.
> We know that there are many libraries that are near completion, but we
> have hard time keeping track all of them. Please keep us informed
> about your progress.

[snip]

> Logging
> -------
> :Author: John Torjo
>
> :Review Manager: Need Volunteer
>
> :Download: http://torjo.com/log2/

> Used properly, logging is a very powerful tool. Besides aiding
> debugging/testing, it can also show you how your application is
> used. The Boost Logging Library allows just for that, supporting
> a lot of scenarios, ranging from very simple (dumping all to one
> destination), to very complex (multiple logs, some enabled/some
> not, levels, etc). It features a very simple and flexible
> interface, efficient filtering of messages, thread-safety,
> formatters and destinations, easy manipulation of logs, finding
> the best logger/filter classes based on your application's
> needs, you can define your own macros and much more!

I have a question. I'm currently working on my own logging
implementation (you may remember I've written about this work earlier)
that I supposed to propose to Boost in the end, and I can see the
enormous effort John have put into his implementation. Although my work
is at the alpha stage, I intend to continue it regardless of the results
of John's library review.

My question is, will my library be needed in Boost if it accepts John's
implementation? Would it be reasonable to bother everyone with yet
another logging solution if Boost already has one? Are there any
regulations or considerations on this?

And another question. If my library goes on its own, is it possible to
release it under the Boost license?

PS: As a side note. I think, it might be a good idea to keep track on
the libraries under development somewhere on the web-site.