From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-19 09:28:55

on Sun Nov 18 2007, "Robert Ramey" <ramey-AT-rrsd.com> wrote:

> What I'm objecting to is that an author works hard to follow
> the stated standards for documentation and tries to discern
> the "standard practice" from examples, and submits his library
> for review, addresses all issues raised, and after years, has
> to deal with strident objections which could have and should
> have been raised during the review and could easily have
> been addressed at that time. Its unprofessional and boost
> has lots of examples of this.

In the case of your library review, the people participating simply
didn't notice the problem. I don't see how you can claim there's
anything unprofessional about that, especially in an open-source
project where nobody's getting paid for his work.

I'm truly sorry if you felt anyone's objections were strident. I know
that I in particular sometimes have a way of putting people on the
defensive, and I regret that. However, I do believe all the requests
made were reasonable and there's no reason we shouldn't be able to
make progress on them. As I wrote in
http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2006/05/105195.php, I realized

  "that these problems can't be repaired all at once, but they should
  be fixed. I'd start by pushing boost/pfto.hpp into boost/detail, for
  example."

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting