From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-24 10:32:46

In another thread, John Maddock wrote:

> Where are we with the release process?

Our build and test infrastructure finally seems stable, and able to
support the 1.35.0 release. Tests don't look too awful on our
high-priority release targets (and I've just updated the list of
high-priority targets so that the Unresolved Issues report reflects
those priorities.) The inspection report is still shows an uncomfortably
large number of problems, and I'm about to turn on more of the checks.
Merging of libraries into branches/release is finally underway. Quite a
bit of work has been done on the website. There are still lots of
outstanding tickets. No attempt has been made yet to try to put the
pieces together to shakedown the build release candidate process.

I realize that from the perspective of not shipping a release until all
but the most trivial issue are resolved, the above report seems overly
optimistic. But I'm assuming we are committed to getting a release out
sometime in December, and that it is better to get releases out
regularly than holding releases until they are perfect.

> Do we have some kind of schedule / deadlines for being ready to ship...

* Merge for release complete: Sunday, November 25th.
* Start testing release candidate build process: Monday, December 3rd.
* Release Candidate 1: Monday, December 10th.

That implies clearing most of the remaining high-priority platform test
failures in the next two weeks.

--Beman