From: Anthony Williams (anthony_w.geo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-29 06:46:12

John Maddock <john <at> johnmaddock.co.uk> writes:

> Anthony Williams wrote:
> > There's more uses of BOOST_HAS_THREADS, but looking at them
> > (including those in the regex headers), it seems to me that
> > BOOST_HAS_THREADS really ought to be defined for a multi-threaded
> > build, even if /Za is specified, otherwise the code won't be
> > thread-safe.
> >
> > Code that depends on <windows.h> will break if /Za is specified, but
> > that's a separate issue to BOOST_DISABLE_THREADS. I'm not suggesting
> > we should be able to *build* boost with /Za, just use it.
> >
> >> I would prefer not to make this change to Boost.Config for 1.35, but
> >> we should try to find a decent way of handling this.
> >
> > I was thinking that we didn't fix this in 1.34, so we ought to try
> > and fix it in
> > 1.35.
>
> Well, how about you run the full regressions tests with /Za both with and
> without the config changes and see what happens?

OK, I've done that.

As expected, you can't build boost with /Za, but if you build boost without /Za,
and build the tests with /Za (with or without the patch) then lots of tests do
run successfully.

Unfortunately, lots of other tests fail to compile. Some (such as
libs/thread/test/test_tss.cpp) include <windows.h> in the test, but others don't
compile because the boost headers change if /Za is specified, and some
functionality is no longer available.

There are a few tests that pass without the patch and fail to compile with the
patch, but there are only a handful of these. I'll investigate further.

Anthony