From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-09 11:44:55

Look at this I see:

we have one byte 8 bits long.

transform_width should transform this in to "pieces" each 6 bits long.

So there are two choices.

return 1 6 bit piece and throw away 2 bits

or

return 2 6 bit pieces. This would require 12 bits from the input. Hence
one
would have to feed it 2 bytes.

So that's why it requests 2 input bytes to produce 2 6 bit items.

So a couple of "solutions"

don't feed it it short strings. (fast, only done at setup, but perhaps
burdensome)

or

alter transformwidth so that requests beyond the end of the input(easy to
use, but perhaps slower)

So I see that as the current situation.

Robert Ramey