Boost logo

Boost :

From: dan marsden (danmarsden_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-16 02:39:54

Larry Evans wrote: >Page: > > > >contains a section titled: > >Type Unification > >however, it appears like what it describes is more like the stl's >accumulate or mpl's fold. Could you explain the reason for the >title and why a title using accumulate or fold wouldn't be >more intuitive to readers? The terminology is taken from the paper by Ren and Erwig, in the references section. I've borrowed a lot of the naming conventions and terminology from this paper. In the original there are 2 traversal types, type preserving which return a result of the same type as their input argument, and type unifying, which take all input types to the same (fixed) output type. In my library, I've currently replaced the type preserving traversals with inplace traversals, as C++ suits modification in place better than large amounts of copying. The 2 numbered points at the start of the Type Unification section attempt to explain this, but obviously this could be clearer. I'll have a look at rewording things. The operation is certainly not a fold, so I think it would be misleading to associate the example with fold like terminology. Cheers Dan ___________________________________________________________ Yahoo! Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the answer. Try it now.

Boost list run by bdawes at, gregod at, cpdaniel at, john at