From: Gennadiy Rozental (rogeeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-16 05:08:49

"Tobias Schwinger" <tschwinger_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>> For instance, the design
>> could be made more flexible by allowing thread-safety to be specified as
>> policy (with appropriate default) or by delegating the responsibility to
>> the
>> wrapped type.
>
> OK, FWIW policies complicate things. And what's their benefit here?

I disagree. In general policies promote modularization. In this concrete
case policy based solution would allow more flexibility in how "thread-safe"
I want to be.

>> If BOOST_HAS_THREADS is defined, it looks as though I have no
>> choice but to use mutexed instantiation and/or access. If I'm not
>> interested in synchronised access, then the lease interface is useless.
>
> Wrong:
>
> The lease interface is useful to improves performance. The test whether
> the Singleton has been initialized (which requires synchronization) can
> be performed only once.

The lease interface only improves preformance in your design. With Meyer's
singleton instance() is as efficient. With any other solution that returns
T&, I just need to store local referene to the target type.

Gennadiy