From: Tobias Schwinger (tschwinger_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-18 04:12:54

Gennadiy Rozental wrote:

>>> will
>>> have
>>> C++
>>> Yes. But argue that you are trying to promote bad practice.
>> Arguably. It works well to ensure the component is used as intended,
>> it's brief and it optimizes out entirely.
>
> No. It doesn't ensure that. One can still create instances of my class with
> valid C++. It's not brief implementation wise in comparison with doing nothing

which is error prone

> and an alternative is as brief usage wise.

Further:

Making friend with a template in another namespace does not work with a
well-known and widely used compiler.

>>> No
>>> As far as I can tell, simply there is no tests for this scenario.
>> I probably didn't include it in the archive.
>
> So you can't state it works for DLL. No one is able to verify.

No? I didn't know the people on this list are incapable of writing code!

> Or do you expect us to believe your word?

Believe whatever you want ;-).

>>> regular
> It
>>> work
>>> I meant "without regard to them". IOW BOOST_HAS_THREADS is global compile
> time
>>> switch which should have no bearings in design on singleton. regardless of
>>> this flag I may or may not want instance construction to be syncronized.
>> The design doesn't change based on that macro.
>
> It does. You either do or don't do syncronization based on it.

Synchronisation with what? In a program with just one thread it's just a
no-op.

Regards,
Tobias