From: Gennadiy Rozental (rogeeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-19 19:10:17

"Joel de Guzman" <joel_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
>> "Tobias Schwinger" <tschwinger_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>
>>> The purpose of testing is not to prove anything -- it about detecting
>>> defects.
>>
>> The purpose of unit testing is to prove that there are no defects and
>> program/library/class works as expected.
>
> Really? Can you *prove* that a software has no defects?
> There's no such thing as a bug free software.

Obviously we can't prove-prove anything. But testing the other best thing we
can do. It should give us assurance (or in other words be good enough proof)
that software works as expected. Meditations like "it's obvious it can work"
is no comparison. In software business it's more like "guilty until proven
innocent".

Gennadiy