From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-28 15:51:11

Alexei Alexandrov wrote:
> Beman Dawes wrote:
>> Alexei Alexandrov wrote:
>>>
>>> So is this information enough? This issue is a real showstopper for me
>>> since it doesn't seem to be possible to use wpath on Linux correctly on
>>> systems where locale is not UTF-8!
>> What version of Boost are you using?
>>

> Ah, sorry again for not providing these details - I'm using
> boost.filesystem from 1.34.1 release.
>
> I also ran the failing use case under valgrind - it showed a number of
> "conditional jumps on uninitialized value" somewhere deep under
> libstdc++ and also a couple of "4 bytes uninitialized read". I don't
> know if it's related to the problem though - I was just trying to do
> what I can.
>
> The problem is rather serious for me - I'm ready to do whatever it's
> needed to help the boost.filesystem maintainer (is it you?) investigate
> and fix the problem.

I'm the maintainer.

One possible way to isolate the problem is to try a codecvt operation on
the locale of interest without involving any boost code at all. If that
works, the problem is likely within Boost.Filesystem. But if that fails,
the problem is with the locale or use of it, not with Boost.Filesystem.

I've got a Linux system here I can test on, but I'm not very familiar
with Linux so am hesitant to start testing here as it always takes me
awhile to come up to speed on Linux.

--Beman