From: John Torjo (john.groups_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-05 17:45:14

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the review.

> To raise the bar you might include requirements such as gleaning maximum
> information from the point of logging, with minimum developer fuss and
> delivering that information to a storage+viewing mechanism for convenient
> post-processing and analysis, e.g.;

I would say I provided that.
> - the library doesnt appear to use the __LINE__ facillity

Actually it doesn't use it, unless you want to - if you take a look at
the use_tags.cpp example, you'll see that the lib can actually log
__FILE__/__LINE__, __FUNCTION__, and more.

> - how do I log the value of a variable and then search for that variable by
> name?

Not sure what you mean.
> - how do I search for the next reference with any assurance that the same
> name is used?

Not sure what you mwan.
> - where is the default mode that just works "out of the box"

How about this:
http://torjo.com/log2/doc/html/scenarios_code.html#scenarios_code_mom

> * What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the library?
>
> Useful. This looks after most of the needs relating to developers
> debug output and also more permanent support output. It does not
> appear to consider what often occurs with such output - it may be
> the best or only record of system activity and will become the
> focus of more complex post-processing and analysis. The library
> does not specifically cater to such activity.

Not sure what you mean. Why do you think I neglected that?
> * Do you think the library should be accepted as a Boost library?
> Be sure to say this explicitly so that your other comments
> don't obscure your overall opinion.
>
> No. As an example of a developers debug logging facillity this is
> one of the better ones. A Boost logging facillity should be targeted
> slightly
> differently. Solving the requirements of developers debugging should be a
> side benefit of solving the wider issue of recording system activity
> for any of the system stakeholders.

Again, not sure what you mean - and please explain why my lib doesn't
solve the above issue. Thanks.

Best,
John

--