From: James Talbut (James.Talbut_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-08 03:17:27

The boost logging library does not seem to support late formatting of
strings.
From tests that I have carried out we can easily get a couple of orders
of magnitude perf improvements by not formatting our strings at runtime,
but leaving it to a post processor.
This makes the difference between logging being feasible or not in high
performance sections of code.

Clearly late formatting is difficult because it requires the collation
of manifest data of some kind for every log message.
My implementation simply logs the boost::format string the first time
the log message occurs - but that does mean that it's very awkward to
turn logging on and off at run time.
An alternative implementation is the Windows WPP library, which runs a
preprocessor and puts the results into the symbols files (much more
difficult to make cross platform).

Have I missed a way to use late formatting with boost::logging?
Are there any intentions to introduce late formatting to boost::logging?

Thanks

Jim

This e-mail, and any attachment, is confidential. If you have received it in error, do not use or disclose the information in any way, notify me immediately, and please delete it from your system.