From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-10 09:04:59

Bjørn Roald wrote:
> Has anybody on the list tried the SunStudio support for Linux on x86 and
> its tools support for GCC in addition to Sun CC? I know the dbx
> debugger to be very good, in many areas it used to be far superior to MS
> VisualStudio's debugger. The GUI was not as nice as VisualStudio but
> far better than DDD. Now Sun provide compiler and tools for free if you
> join SDN (also free I think). GUI is now Net.Beans (free again) which
> looks very nice, I have not tried it.
>
> http://developers.sun.com/sunstudio/downloads/index.jsp

I found this page:
http://developers.sun.com/sunstudio/documentation/ss12/mr/READMEs/dbx.html#limitations
It seems to be some limitations with dbx on Linux and with g++ compiled
binaries. :-(

The most serious limitation in my view is:

    * Run-time type information for C++ expressions is not available for
      programs compiled with the g++ compiler.

--
Bjørn