From: Tom Brinkman (reportbase_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-10 19:59:54

* What is your evaluation of the design?

Introduces alot of new concepts for something relatively simple, logging. A

study of the headers suggests a boostified functional style, but with lots
of macros,
which some developers here have no objection over. I on the other hand
would like to see less, or even no macros in the public interface. A
functional, lambda style
logging interface should be adequate. If a macro is needed, suggest it as a
work-around,
but dont force it on the user in the example(s).

* What is your evaluation of the implementation?

No issues. Author appears to be knowlegable in the problem domain.

* What is your evaluation of the documentation?

Overall, I didnt like the informal style, but I was able to get the
information I needed.
Author tries to be too "cute" or "friendly". Author should get rid of
informal comments
and replace them with more professional language.

An example of informal language is:

"Yup, we have other examples as well. We also have a starter project."

* What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the library?

Potential is high. Would I use this library. As it stands, no. The
tradeoff/benefits
still suggest to me that logging requirements are too application specific,
and
this library doesnt change that equation. If it had a simple, boostified,
lambda
interface, with no macros, and no learning curve, I would probably use it.
As it stands, its too complicated, with too little benefit for me to us it.
Sorry.

* Did you try to use the library? With what compiler?
Did you have any problems?

It compiled on GCC, linux, ubuntu, with some warnings, which I ignored.

* How much effort did you put into your evaluation?

Three hours

* Are you knowledgeable about the problem domain?

Yes.

* Do you think the library should be accepted as a Boost library?

No.

I would evaluate it again, if the author would
create a more boost friendly, lambda style public interface.

Tom Brinkman