From: Douglas Gregor (dgregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-23 10:07:37

On Feb 23, 2008, at 5:46 AM, Beman Dawes wrote:

> root/more/index.html has disappeared, as has all of the content. That
> isn't acceptable.
>
> Even if much of the content is moved elsewhere, index.html has to
> continue to exist, so that users can continue to find the content.
> It is
> OK for some of the links on root/more/index.html to refer to the
> web site.
>
> It is OK to move content out of the release and into the web site
> if it
> is unlikely to be referenced in the process of actually using a
> release.
> Any of the content that is likely to used by users of a release
> must be
> restored. Releases have to be usable without Internet connectivity.

I agree, but how much content do we actually need in the release? I
think we should be minimal, focusing on installation, "Getting
Started", library documentation, and "what's new in this release."

> Pages like the License information, How to report bugs, and FAQ
> have to
> be part of a release.

The license is in LICENSE_1_0.txt. The discussion and justification
of the license in more/ don't need to be in a release, because that's
the kind of thing you find when you google for the Boost license to
see if it's compatible with another license you're using.

The FAQ is mostly information for people who either (1) are decided
whether or how to get Boost, or (2) thinking of participating in the
Boost community in some way. Both of those require an Internet
connection anyway, so there's no need to have the FAQ in a release.

Same with bug reporting: to report a bug, you need an internet
connection, and the first thing you're going to do is go to
www.boost.org. So long as the link to the bug tracker is clear on
www.boost.org, that's fine.

        - Doug