From: John Phillips (phillips_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-26 16:09:55

Johan Råde wrote:

> Don't you think a Bessel function is somehow more "mathematical" than the isnormal function?
>
> --Johan

   No, but that may be a function of my personal view of mathemmatics.
isnormal is a set classification function, and as such has a long and
important history in mathematics. It isn't what most non-mathematicians
think of when they consider mathematical functions, but many very
important mathematical advances that happened before the advent of
computers were based around such classification functions. isnormal in
specific isn't a classification rule that I expect would have been used
before digital computers, but the underlying model of functions that
trace what is and is not included in a set is an old one in mathematics.

                        John