From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-27 08:43:43

Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 11:15:24PM -0500, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
>> Steve M. Robbins wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Thanks to Steve, Bernd, and Josselin for ideas.

>>> Indeed. Do you think this is a serious restriction? Given that
>>> Debian likes to package extensions for all python versions, I tend to
>>> think it will become a problem.
>> extensions for different python installations don't conflict because
>> they end up in separate directories.
>
> The proposal above is that we provide a boost-python-2.4-dev and a
> boost-python-2.5-dev package that conflict with one another (because
> they would contain files of the same name). This prevents a source
> package from depending on both for a build, and therefore a source
> package for a Python extension cannot produce an extension for each
> Python version.

How does this work for source packages using Python-dev directly ? Don't
they face the same problem ?

(I still don't see the problem: Source packages don't depend on binary
packages, only binary packages do. And if you package your extension
module you are in control of what python version(s) you build against, no ?)

Regards,
                Stefan