From: Graham (Graham_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-04 17:01:59

>Matt Gruenke wrote:

>> Phil Endecott wrote:

>>> I'd like to offer something that's close to a drop-in replacement

>>> for std::string that will let people painlessly upgrade their code

>>> proper character set support.

>> Something that might be worth a look is Glib::ustring, in glibmm-2.

http://www.gtkmm.org/docs/glibmm-2.4/docs/reference/html/classGlib_1_1us
tring.html

>Thanks for the link; this is indeed the sort of thing that I have in

>mind. Some observations:

>- It doesn't seem to offer any complexity guarantees.

>- It uses size_type to pass and return positions in the string, and

>doesn't specify whether these are byte or character positions; I get

>the impression that they're character positions but I could be wrong.

>- It offers implicit conversion to and from std::string. Is this
desirable?

>Regards, Phil.

Hi,

I have a Unicode character library that I created some time ago with
Rogier van Dalen, that needs a template class similar to std::string in
order to provide completely generic Unicode string support. The
intention was that this would be submitted to boost but we both ran out
of time after doing the generic Unicode character support.

Is this something interesting, as this is generic, and language
independent ?

Thanks.

Yours,

Graham Barnett