From: Michael Fawcett (michael.fawcett_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-05 15:14:14

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 1:51 PM, Jonathan Franklin
<franklin.jonathan_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Michael Fawcett <michael.fawcett_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
> > <snip>
>

> There were only about 15,000 nodes generated in the
> > search, so it wasn't a very large graph.
>

> Any way to crank that up to 150,000, or 1.5 million?

Same test, but I resized the image to 1280 x 1280 (it was at 128 x
128). There were 1,016,906 nodes generated during the search. I only
did each version 5 times instead of 10 this time, since it took quite
a bit longer.

at_goal() - 19.05272 seconds

exception - 18.85408 seconds

So, throwing an exception was faster in this case. Just to make sure
I didn't screw things up the first time, I tried it again with the 128
x 128 bitmap, and at_goal() was indeed faster than the exception again
over 5 runs (this time by 0.02 seconds, not 0.01 like before).

I forgot to mention before that this is using VS 2005 as the compiler.
 I'm pretty sure results for compilers with different exception
implementations would vary greatly.

--Michael Fawcett