From: Stjepan Rajko (stipe_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-10 21:36:57

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 12:01 PM, John Maddock <john_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> In 2007 we had a couple of students drop out, of the remaining 6 projects,
> one has been integrated into Boost and the student gone on to be a
> significant Boost contributor, three others have been under continued active
> development through last Autumn - we hope to tempt more students back once
> their college commitment allows.

I really appreciate the "once their college commitment allows" comment
:-). Anyway, I just posted a review request for my project, if that
helps any.

> 4) What will you do to ensure that your accepted students stick with the
> project after GSoC concludes?
>
> As well as encouragement to continue, we try to provide students with
> detailed feedback on their progress towards getting their contributions
> formally accepted into Boost, so that they know exactly what needs to be
> done to complete the project. Although progress after the SOC period ends

I found this to be a critical issue for myself - after the end of last
SOC I found myself with a lot of great feedback on how I can improve
the library I was working on, but at the same time I wasn't sure what
was crucial to make the library review-ready. I think a mini-review at
the end of SOC that would focus specifically on what's left to be done
(as far as boost review/inclusion goes) for all of the projects would
be really really helpful (I think things like this have been suggested
before, but it didn't seem to quite happen last time).

Thanks to all boost mentors and admins for your work in coordinating
Boost-GSoC, it's a really rewarding experience for us students!

Stjepan