From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-14 10:34:25

1.35.0 Release Candidate 1 is about to become available.

How can we tell if a release candidate is good enough to ship? While the
final decision will come down to a value judgment on the part of the
release manager, after consulting with the list, it would be useful to
know that obvious showstoppers like missing files aren't an issue.

It seems to me that this need breaks down into two categories:

* Checks that could be automated. Perhaps someone could write a script
that downloads each of the packages (.bz2, .gz, .7z, .zip), unpacks
them, and does some basic QA. For example, runs our inspect tool, and
makes sure that the number of problems reported isn't greater than
expected. Verifies certain files are present. You get the idea.

* Checks that require human judgment. Perhaps we could have a check
list. It would have to be limited to things that could be checked in a
reasonable period of time. We can't expect volunteers to labor for many
hours over each release candidate.

Thoughts?

--Beman