From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-14 10:50:57

Martin Bonner wrote:
> ??
> The New Collins Concise English Dictionary (1982) by my desk has:
>
> Negate: 1. to nullify; invalidate. 2. to contradict
>
> Posit: 1. to assume or put forward as fact or the factual basis for an
> argument. 2. to put in position.
>
> I don't really see how you can say that "to posit" is the opposite of
> "to negate".

??
"To put forward as fact" seems like the opposite of "to contradict" to
me. One says, "it's true!" The other, "it's false!"

The only other term that I have found that is acceptable for the unary
plus operator is "unary_plus." That just seems so ... boring. ;-) And a
little strange to have "negate" and "unary_plus". Blech.

Is there a mathematician who can tell me if the operation performed by
the unary plus operator has a name?

--
Eric Niebler
Boost Consulting