From: Jeff Garland (azswdude_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-22 12:22:20

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 7:37 AM, Daniel Pfeifer <daniel_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> > [...] the leading candidate [...] is soci.
>
> I know about that. SOCI surely is a great library with high
> potential. However, there are two things, that I disagree with it:
> 1) overloads of operator<< and operator,
> It confuses me to use operator<< to get information _out_ of
> something.

Ok, but I don't think SOCI does that. It uses operator<< on an SQL
statement to bind variables -- the variables can be input or output
depending on what you're doing.

> 2) Runtime polymorphy
> I agree that is is important to switch easily between
> implementations, but usually you don't need this flexibility at
> runtime, do you?

No, but I'm not clear that there's much of a disadvantage -- a few extra
instructions is very likely to be totally overwelmed by the cost

> I don't want to start a discussion about soci here. I just want to
> point out why I would prefer a different approach.

That's fair, but the discussion will come up. You need to have reasons, and
you do, why you are going a different direction. As it stands, I haven't
seen enough examples of your proposed interface to understand the contrast.
In particular, I'd like to see how you are going to bind user defined types
(eg: boost::posix_time::ptime), STL collections of objects -- or say a
Boost.Multiindex collection of values, bulk operations, etc.

Jeff