From: Ulrich Eckhardt (doomster_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-25 02:38:31

On Tuesday 25 March 2008 01:16:21 Eric Niebler wrote:
> U boost/indirect_reference.hpp
> U boost/parameter.hpp
> svn: In directory 'boost'
> svn: Can't move 'boost/.svn/tmp/foreach.hpp.2.tmp' to
> 'boost/foreach.hpp': Permission denied

There are two common reasons for that:
1. The file is open (under win32) and herefore you can't write it.
2. The permissions are actually wrong.

Both involves obvious solutions, but the second one is typically the result of
using different user accounts to access the same working copy. The first one
can also be caused by anti-virus software.

> ericne_at_ericne-xps ~/boost/org/trunk
> $ svn up
> svn: Checksum mismatch for
> 'boost/.svn/text-base/enable_shared_from_this.hpp.svn-base'; recorded:
> '12d8c5183a709a7699c13b312073c36c', actual:
> 'c89a6b23045ff8c89d2de74213d1649a'

The typical cause is that some (broken) tool modified the content of the .svn
dir, like e.g. search'n'replace running amok. Since the files in there have a
different ending and are even write-protected, I'm actually willing to write
this off to a broken tool.

I have also seen this happen dues to some filesystem-level corruption which
made it impossible to access some dir. Running an extensive check/repair
fixed that though.

> Does this ever happen to anybody else? I get this random corruption of
> my local subversion repository about once a month.

That's a lot. Up to now, I have still been able to trace all issues to either
misuse (by user or tool), misbehaving virus scanner or (as above) filesystem
corruption.

Uli