From: Lars Viklund (zao_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-25 07:51:34

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 08:36:36AM -0400, Beman Dawes wrote:
> Tarjei Knapstad wrote:
>
> > * The headers are installed to $INCLUDEDIR/boost-1_35/boost, but I
> > expected $INCLUDEDIR/boost. Supposing this is meant to enable parallel
> > installs of different versions of boost I think this should be done
> > using the --prefix option to configure, not hardcoded in the Jamfiles.
> > (the static libraries and symlinks for the libs will be overwritten
> > anyway if you attempt to install two versions to the same prefix).
>
> Rene, is this your department? What do you think?

I'm not Rene, but I can maybe offer some insight here. By default, boost
builds and installs with --layout=versioned, which will give you headers
in ${PREFIX}/boost-x_xx/boost and the boost version number and compiler
version embedded in the library names.

If you want to have the old-fashioned ${PREFIX}/boost and less decorated
library names, just pass --layout=system to bjam.
I'm unsure if there's any analogous parameter to ./configure, but most
likely not. In my not so humble opinion, I think that using
configure/make/make install for boost is extraneous.

By the way, what happened to the --build-type=minimal|complete option
that the trunk has. Is that due for 1.35.1 or later?

--
Lars Viklund | zao_at_[hidden] | 070-310 47 07