From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-27 12:32:47
First, let me say that I enthusiastically vote for acceptance!
- What is your evaluation of the design?
Excellent. I would change some names here and there.
- What is your evaluation of the implementation?
I didn't look at the implementation much, but I am familiar with
Eric's work and I have no doubt that it's stellar.
- What is your evaluation of the documentation?
A valiant effort, but still needs work. This is a difficult domain to
explain, but I hope that Eric will keep trying :-)
- What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the library?
Extremely useful. I'm already looking forward to using it in at least
- Did you try to use the library? With what compiler? Did you have any
I tried out a few of the early examples with G++ 4.1.3. The only
problem I had is noted in the attached user guide walkthrough, and I
very much doubt it was a compiler dependency.
- How much effort did you put into your evaluation? A glance? A quick
reading? In-depth study?
About 12 hours of careful reading through the user guide.
- Are you knowledgeable about the problem domain?
Reasonably knowledgeable. I have lots of experience with expression
templates but very little with the domain of generalized ET libraries.
The attached document contains many more comments.
-- Dave Abrahams Boost Consulting http://boost-consulting.com
Boost list run by bdawes at acm.org, gregod at cs.rpi.edu, cpdaniel at pacbell.net, john at johnmaddock.co.uk