From: Arash Partow (arash_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-28 09:59:12

Fernando Cacciola wrote:

> P.S: We (the CGAL developers) are well aware of a couple of pending
> improvements to ease the user experience, but I get the feeling that some
> users just don't understand the inherent complexity that comes from our
> fundamental goal of robustness.

Some users do, but don't see what it has to be soo apparent. Think of
it in this manner:

There is a street where every shop is a restaurant, the restaurants
are ordered from say a McDonalds/Fish'n'Chip to some high upscale
"we'll scratch you're butt if it needs scratching" style restaurant.

Now from a user POV I (and most other users I know )want to always
start from the McDonald's end of the street regardless and slowly as
I determine what I want to eat gradually walk down the street to the
other end. Some days I'd be content with McDonalds other days I may
prefer something more edible/healthy and maybe once in a while I will
go to the upscale place at the end of the street.

I don't have any exact evidence but from my experiences both in
Academia and industry "high end robustness" in problems requiring
computational geometry is the exception not the norm, I'm not saying
it is not important and should not be provided just that it would make
more sense from a user experience/marketability pov that you provide a
cleaner simpler interface.

I digress - this is a BOOST ML and BOOST.Geometry is the topic at
hand not issues relating to CGAL.

Arash Partow
Be one who knows what they don't know,
Instead of being one who knows not what they don't know,
Thinking they know everything about all things.
http://www.partow.net