From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-27 16:46:26

Andrey Tcherepanov wrote:
> Beman,
>
> May I humbly suggest "release more often" item as well? Say, as soon as 1
> or 2 new libraries are accepted, merged into release branch and it is
> stable? Or even "try to release at least last-dot-bug-fix release every
> 2-4 months"?

Good points.

We are aiming for a quarterly release. 1.35.0 took five months, but our
infrastructure and procedures are improving, so I hope the next one can
be done in three months.

We probably need to be a bit more specific about schedules. For example,
a twelve week schedule might look something like this:

* New libraries, major revisions of old libraries, and big
infrastructure changes need to be merged in the first three weeks.

* Minor fixes can be merged up until three weeks before the release
target date.

* Release candidate generation and review will begin three weeks before
the release target date.

--Beman