From: Noah Stein (noah_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-28 03:04:46

Fernando Cacciola wrote:

> 5) There is a reason why CGAL doesn't provide a distance function at all
but
> only a squared_distance, and I agree with that reason: sqrt() kills
> robustness and distances are usually used for comparisons, so you seldom
> need that.

This is one of the things I think proto can help with. I'm playing around
with a simple vector/point/matrix library just to get a feel for it. proto
should be able to transform expressions of the sort "length(a) > length(b)"
into "dot(a,a) > dot(b,b)". I think proper use of proto can lead to high
levels of expressivity combined with good optimization.

-- Noah

Checked by AVG.
10:03 AM