From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-28 17:14:22

Emil Dotchevski wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Very interesting. As far as use cases, one might take a look at
>> extended_type_info in the serialization library. It seems related to this.
>
> I don't see a connection between boost::variant and
> extended_type_info. Isn't extended_type_info designed to handle any
> type? This is unlike boost::variant, which is just a type-safe union.

I agree. And, some simpler templating techniques may be used to map the
current helt type discriminator to the (C++) type, thus dispatching
calls by other means than what is typically referred to as 'visitation'.

(I still fail to appreciate the usefulness of those compile-time static
strings. I find them rather ugly...)

Regards,
                Stefan