From: Stephen Nuchia (snuchia_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-31 15:08:26

> This is probably important to clarify in the Getting Started
> documentation. This is especially true because the headers
> still include the libboost* version by default in Visual Studio
> builds, and debug versions of those if you are building debug.
> None of these are built if you follow the steps in the Getting
> Started document. So, by default, following that doc won't get
> you a usable setup.

I've got ticket #1720 open on this issue. My description is clouded by
the fact that I'm learning to use bjam / boost.build by trial and error
in the process.

For the next couple of years anyone doing commercial software on Windows
is going to need 32- and 64-bit builds side-by-side. I will either
provide updated "Getting Started on Windows" language or collaborate
with anyone else working toward the same goal. But I think we need to
get some better language onto the web site muy pronto. It's taken me a
week and several round-trips through the list to get it mostly working,
and it was all due to "beginner hostile" documentation.