From: Jared McIntyre (jmcintyre_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-31 17:56:56

Edward Diener <eldiener <at> tropicsoft.com> writes:

> I suggested a while back on the Boost Build NG that the default should
> be all libraries built while other options to build a subset of the
> libraries should be documented but it was rejected for the current way.
> I knew that people would be confused by doing their build, as always,
> and not seeing the libraries which had preciously always been built, not
> generated.

I'm used to the build process changing (at least slightly) in a full release,
so I always check Getting Started to see what the new way to build is now.
But now if you follow the steps in that document, your code won't actually
work as described. For example, it tells you to include regex.hpp and that
will auto-link to the regex library, except that it auto-links to the
libboost version of regex which isn't built using the instruction on how
to build earlier in the document. Similarly, it talks about manually
linking to libboost_regex-vc71-mt-d-1_34.lib, which also wouldn't exist
(and not just because it refers to 1_34). It seems that the default build
should at least build the libraries that the auto-link will link to, otherwise
you have to build it differently to use auto-link.

By the way, this is the page I'm referring to, since it doesn't seem to have
an obvious link on the site anymore:

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_35_0/more/getting_started/windows.html

Of course, maybe this is why it doesn't have that link...

Jared