From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-05 03:04:48

Dave Compton wrote:

> Is it necessary to run the 'bjam install' after building boost from source? I
> always do this but have never been sure if it is needed. The reason that I am
> asking is that the 'Boost Getting Started with Windows' page does not say
> anything about it and probably should if it is necessary.

Would you please file a Trac issue requesting that this be clarified?

The answer is that you can build Boost in 3 ways:

        bjam <properties> <no-target>
        bjam <properties> stage
        bjam <properties> install

The first builds the libraries but does not place them into a single directory.
The second builds the libraries and places them into a single 'lib' directory.
The third builds everything and installs both libraries and headers.

- Volodya