From: Boris (boriss_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-07 05:31:25

I read in the documentation of Boost.Iostreams (at
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_35_0/libs/iostreams/doc/guide/asynchronous.html)
that "additional Device concepts will be required for full support of
asynchronous i/o". Are there any ideas how these additional devices
concepts will/should look like?

I ask as I was trying to extend Boost.Asio and add support for
C++ standard streams on the weekend. I came to the conclusion that this is
impossible (as calls to C++ standard streams block and there is no way to
interrupt a blocking call, at least not in a portable way). If there are
any ideas though how to support asynchronous I/O with Boost.Iostreams I'd
like to hear them. But I guess that would still mean that you can't use
C++ standard streams (like std::cin) asynchronously?

Boris