From: Mat Marcus (mat-lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-11 17:05:32

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 7:11 AM, Anteru
<newsgroups_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Mat Marcus schrieb:
> > I'm surprised to hear you say this, as my experience is so different.
> > To see whether this might be because things changed with in VC 9, I
> > ran one of our benchmark suites to measure the _SECURE_SCL penalty for
> > release builds. The benchmarks attempt, amongst other things, to
> > measure the abstraction penalty by comparing the performance of
> > different algorithms when using a vendor's vector with associated
> > iterator type vs. an array with pointers.
>
> Weird, tested the following snippet:
[snip]

> Does not sound too bad to me actually? Not sure, maybe the x64 exception
> handling is just vastly better for non-thrown exceptions. I'm keeping it
> on, just in case, and I hope Boost won't override the compiler default.
>
> Cheers,
> Anteru

For my reply, I have received permission to post a pre-release version
of some code from a colleague's benchmark suite. This should indicate
how to reproduce my results. I will begin a new thread since the
current subject line doesn't really reflect the topic under
discussion. I will begin the threas: High Performance Cost of MS
'secure' STL for Release Builds.

 - Mat