From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-14 11:28:11

Johan Råde wrote:
>> a) Is it possible to write many of the functions in the boost.math
>> library (like beta and gamma functions) so that they can be
>> parallelized irrespective of the "way of parallelization"(such as
>> using OpenMP, MPI, etc...) and the "environment" (like multicore or
>> a cluster)?
>

> What do you mean by parallelizing the beta function?
>
> The task of evaluating the beta function for a single value is not
> parallelizable.
>
> The task of evaluating the beta function for each value in a
> container is of course parallelizable.
> But doing that requires parallelized STL algorithms,
> and has nothing to do with the Boost.Math library.

I was more interested in the incomplete beta, which can be split into
separate components which can be independently evaluated and then combined
to give the result - actually one could do the same for the beta function
itself, but I doubt very much that it would worth the effort, or the
overhead imposed by the parrallelisation.

John.