From: Patrick Twohig (p-twohig_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-17 20:24:56

Theoretically, the CAS should atomically compare and swap the value in one
clock cycle. However, with multiple cores/processors/hyper threading where
multiple instructions are being executed simultaneously over arbitrary
numbers of clock cycles. There can be writes pending while you want to read
from memory. As a result, when you go to read something another process
will have written to but you read stale data. To combat this, you enforce a
memory barrier, which guarantees that all pending memory transactions before
the barrier have completed before moving on with the program. Additionally,
some architectures (like x86) allow for unaligned access of memory. When an
unaligned value is accessed, it sets an exception then it replaces the
single read/write operation with multiple bus operations which wreaks havoc
on any compare/swap operations.