From: Lance.Diduck_at_[hidden]
Date: 2008-04-18 11:50:22

If the CAS is prefixed with 'lock' (intel) then this emits a two way
barrier. Virtually all compiler built ins of CAS do this. In my
implementation of queue I did not need barriers other than those already
used by the CAS.

I am interested in developing some lock-free libs for boost, if other
are willing to help. I have a working unbounded MS Queue (relies on DCAS
at the moment, but I have ideas on how to just support Single CAS (e.g.
the node allocator could always align on 64 byte boundaries, leaving
space for a counter with a reasonable range). I have a linearized
smart_ptr (which makes STM much much easier in C++). I have a
std::allocator --compatible lockfree allocator (reduced contention
inside of container quite a bit) and of course a stack.

Lance