From: Lance.Diduck_at_[hidden]
Date: 2008-04-18 13:23:07

There is lots of ways to help, even if you've never touched lockfree
programming. In the case of queues, stacks and such, these are well
understood, and really need to library-tized. e.g.
1. source code conforms to boost style and repository guidelines
2. test harnesses written and integrated with boost build (e.g. my
system uses regular make and CPPUNIT)
3. docs and example code written

All of the above is very important, and does not require any knowledge
of lock free programming, just an interest. There is even much design
work to be done, for instance, this is my queue interface
template<class _Val> //_Val must be bitwise comparable
class michael_scott_queue {
typedef _Val value_type;
//other typedefs
michael_scott_queue() ;
~michael_scott_queue();
void push(value_type const &_val);
bool pop(value_type&return_val);//return false on empty
private:
        volatile node_type m_head;//node_type implements CAS instruction
        volatile node_type m_tail;
        allocators::MTSlab<> m_allocator;//lock free node allocator
(fixed size blocks)
};

Now, without knowing anything about how ctor, dtor, push and pop are
implemented, what can be done? Adding allocator as a parameter just like
a std::container; changing node_type to conform to std::atomic; perhaps
making a version that includes a monitor (so that pop blocks rather than
returns false) and so forth. I havent worked out yet the exception
guarantees. There is lots of stuff, and you can learn lock free
programming on the way. If you have done distributed programming before,
then lock -free SMP programming is simply using loss-free communication
channels that are only a word or two wide, and there is no such thing as
a "intermediate invalid" state -- i.e. all operations (messages)
preserve all invariants. If you have never done distributed programming,
well, then there is a lot to learn indeed!!

Lance