From: Sebastian Redl (sebastian.redl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-20 16:01:56

Frank Mori Hess wrote:
> Another thing that's occurred to me is, are there license issues with
> boost-licensed code using internal interfaces in libsupc++?
Possibly. I'm not sure if the linking exception that applies to all of
GCC's libraries includes explicit naming of internal interfaces. (GCC
generates code that links against those things, so obviously the mere
existence of the links in object code is no problem.)
I don't think it's a problem, but IANAL. What's IMO a greater problem is
the partial duplicate of GPL-licensed code. In my code, I've written the
structs myself, and they consist mostly of dummy entries, but it's still
basically a copy.
> Maybe the
> best route is to just send a patch to the gcc people that implements
> exception_ptr as a gnu extension? That would also give you more freedom
> in your implementation choices.

I've considered it. But
1) First I need to get it to work - as you say, I've got more choices
with a change to libsupc++, but at a big cost.
2) Changing the current thing would break the C++ ABI! This is a huge
thing to consider.
3) Effectively, I'd have to compile my own GCC, and make it use my own
libsupc++. This is far from trivial.

We'll see. First I get it to work, then I'll consider what to do with
the code.

Sebastian