From: Lance.Diduck_at_[hidden]
Date: 2008-04-21 09:56:00

> i would be careful with that ... one would need to make sure, that the
monitor/semaphore implementation is
> lock-free itself ...
I assume that you are referring to the push operation, and not the pop.
The pop of course has to block somehow.
Waking up a thread is for all practical purposes platform/scheduler
specific, but there are ways to do this without blocking the signaler.
One way I solved this was to use a pipe, with O_NONBLOCK set. There is
an additional shared variable, that indicates that the queue is empty,
otherwise nothing has to get written. poll() with a timeout is used on
the pop side. (in my case I had to integrate with another middleware
package that used file descriptors, so there were few other choices).
Windows has events, which I believe are nonblocking already (and Windows
has one of the best queueing mechanisms around -- perhaps it is already
lock-free making boost.lockfree::queue a wrapper?). I'm not sure how I
would do this with pthreads.

In any case all of this is independent of the actual implementation of
the queue itself. It would just be nice to have a mechanism similar to
that already found in Java. Its lock-free queue has a monitor version.