From: Jeff Garland (azswdude_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-22 10:49:52

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 10:28 AM, John Maddock <john_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> Jeff Garland wrote:
> >> Right, but does it always try to auto-link or only if you use the
> >> features that are in the separate library?
> >>

> > Well, I'm less certain of that -- it's a windows thing I don't use
> > daily, butI believe it can be shut off undefining
> > BOOST_DATE_TIME_DYN_LINK. If
> > it's a serious problem, for 1.36 I'll just remove the date-time
> > library for good -- it's really only there to support some legacy
> > code now...
>
> I just had a quick try at fixing this: I refactored the headers so that
> only:
>
> date_generators.hpp
> greg_month.hpp
> greg_weekday.hpp
>
> try and auto-link.
>
> However, including <boost/thread.hpp> resulted in all of those headers
> being
> indirectly pulled in by date_time, so auto-linking still occurs :-(
>
> So I guess the question is whether this "legacy" code can be factored into
> separate headers that are only pulled in if you need them?
>
> Feels like the right thing to do if it's possible, but I don't understand
> date_time well enough to do it :-(

I'm afraid it's a bit non-trivial in this case -- basically some of the i/o
code that I wrote to support ancient compilers like 2.95 needs to be tossed
and replaced with the more modern stuff that's already in the library --
that would allow all the to_string stuff to go inline.

Jeff